Sunday, November 18, 2007

Let the ADVENTure begin!!

We bought a 1915 arts and crafts style home and it got me into blogland. Here is what happened. I did a google search on arts and craft houses and up came Dear Daisy Cottage, which is so uplifting. On Kim's blog was a link to Allsorts and through Jenny's also fabulous blog on design and fabric crafts I found Club Little House and Inspire Co by Amy with doll house and pretty things. It was a revelation that there were so many women out there interested in things I loved and living their dreams amidst all the craziness of living in these times.

Jenny re posted her advent calendar and a pattern and I thought I could do that. I want to do that. I will do that.

I hunted through my stuff for the felt I must have had for decades and started. It was "sew" much fun cutting out the envelopes and stitching them together. But I relearned a lesson about myself. I just cant follow directions without thinking ohh why not try this and change things and I cant do the same thing too many times over and over. Having started other advent calendars that languished into nothingness I really wanted to finish this one. Instead of making the packets all the same I did groups of colours. Somehow doing five pinks, six whites and 3 sets of different greens is way easier than doing 25 of one colour - Why is that? So I hit a bit of a snag facing sewing on 25 buttons until I did 1 pink and 12 little and 12 slightly larger buttons. The ties were hard for me - all 25 of them - even though they were easy peasy to do. I found green and white checked ribbon but the envelopes did not stay on flat and I could not get the ties between them to look nice like Jenny's do. Inspiration - I cut 2 little slashes to thread the ribbon through and the envelopes lay really flat and don't need the ties between them for spacing so a little of the checked ribbon shows thorough the spaces.

It feels great to be nearly done - there are just two green envelopes to finish off. Oh and the dangles - and they all different so I am safe there and then getting the little numbers and the treats and then mailing to Cait. A little more work so wish me luck. The boys will want them too - wish me lots of luck.

Thanks Jenny for this great advent calendar and the adventure its taking me on. I also want to make your elf clogs too - but I want to make a seven year old boy size (and some for me too)

No comments: